Here’s a recipe for rice pudding that’ll taste like a cake by baking it and then cutting the richness off with a fruit sauce.
- 350g white rice
- 1.5 litres of whole milk
- 200g butter
- 200g creamed cheese
- 200ml cream
- 125g self-raising flour
- 4 tbsp. caster sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- Pinch of salt
Method of Preparation:
- Put the milk, rice, and pinch of salt into a large saucepan and cook until the liquid has absorbed into the rice. This should take about half an hour. Stir it frequently to make sure the rice doesn’t stick to the rice cooker.
- Whilst the rice is cooking, get on with making the cake mixture. In one large bowl, whisk the eggs with the cream and the vanilla.
- In another bowl, mix the butter with the cream cheese and sugar until pale and fluffy. Combine the butter mixture with the egg mixture.
- When the rice is cooked, mix it into the liquid mixture. Combine well and then sift the flour in. Stir well until you have a sticky cake mixture.
- Turn the cake mix into a large greased baking tin, about 25cm square, and cook it for one hour at 180C. Allow the cake to stand for a few minutes and then serve warm.