This aromatic gingerbread is spiced beautifully by cinnamon and ginger and tastes incredible with a cup of tea in the afternoons
Table of Contents
- 400g dark brown soft sugar
- 250g unsalted butter
- 200g plain flour
- 125g wholemeal flour
- 250ml soured cream
- 150ml honey
- 125ml orange juice
- 150g sultanas
- 125g flaked almonds
- 4 tbsp. orange flavoured liquor
- 3 eggs
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4.
- Line and grease the insides of a tube cake tin.
- Sift and mix together the flours, spices, and baking powder. Set to one side.
- Cream the butter with the sugar. Beat the eggs into this one at a time to prevent them curdling. Once this mixture is smooth, beat in the orange juice, soured cream, orange liquor, and honey.
- Mix the flour mixture into the wet mixture. When smooth, mix in the sultanas and the almonds.
- Put this mixture into the cake tin and cook for 80 minutes. This seems like a lot, but the cake will be wonderfully aromatic and moist in the middle.
Serve this warm up with some thick custard if you don’t want to eat it as a teacake. These will keep up to two weeks in an airtight container